Charlotte School of Law is proud of its international student program.

Next Steps For Accepted International Students (JD and LL.M.)

Congratulations on your admission to the Charlotte School of Law.
As an international student, there are several procedures that you must follow in order to begin your studies with us. Procedures will vary based on your current or future immigration/visa status.

A detailed description of each status follows below. Should you have questions or difficulties, please email immediately.

For Accepted Students Who Need to Apply for F-1 Status (Outside of the U.S.)

Request Form I-20
In order to obtain a Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa, you must accept your offer of admission and document your source(s) of financial support for your program of study. "¨When documenting financial support, you MUST demonstrate that you have financial support for ALL years of study that it will take you to complete your degree. This means you must demonstrate three years of financial support for the J.D. degree or one year of financial support for the LL.M. degree. Prior to issuance of the Form I-20, funds must be documented, and those for the first year of study must be currently available. For the first year of study, you must show $53,036 (the annual cost of the J.D. Program) in currently available funds. This amount includes the current average cost for books, living expenses, health insurance, tuition and fees. Expenses can be paid both by personal funds from the student and by funds from a sponsor (family or friend).

Personal Funds
Personal funds are considered to be any type of money that appears on documents in your name. (i.e. bank statements, investments, etc.) If using personal funds for any part of support, you must have the personal funds for all years of study. For example, for the J.D. program, a student who states that he or she will use $10,000 of personal funds per year for support would have to show $30,000 ($10,000 x 3 years) of currently available funds in order to be issued an I-20. Personal funds cannot be earned; the student either has the funds or does not.

Sponsor Funds
Sponsor funds are considered to be money given or promised to you by a family member, friend, other person or entity. For sponsor funds, only amounts used to satisfy the annual cost of the J.D. for the first year ($53,036) must be shown to be currently available in order to receive the I-20. If using funds from a sponsor for subsequent years of study, those funds may be demonstrated by income from employment or investments of your sponsor. In addition, financial awards given to you by Charlotte School of Law, including scholarships, count towards proving the necessary financial support and can be subtracted from the amount of funding you need to demonstrate.

If you will be bringing dependents with you who will need F-2 visas, you will need to show an additional $9,000 per year financial support for a spouse and $5,000 additional per year financial support for each child or other minor dependent. These amounts include the current cost of the school's health insurance policy for dependents.

Visit our website to complete the request for I-20 form, which includes certification of financial support. After you submit your request for the Form I-20, you will be sent an email link to the website where you must upload your supporting financial certification documents. If you are using sponsor funds to provide financial support, you can request our Affidavit of Sponsorship Form by emailing and then submit that form by email. Once the appropriate financial documentation is received, we will issue you a Form I-20 with which you can apply for any necessary F-1 or F-2 visas."¨ Any financial certification made by a sponsor, including the Affidavit of Sponsorship, must have a notary seal affixed to the sponsor's signature, or the form will not be accepted. A notary seal is an official stamp certifying that the person signing the form is the sponsor. A notary seal can be obtained in any country, although the formal name may differ. Lawyers, bankers, police officers and other government officials typically have the authority to make such certifications. In some countries (especially China), such officials may not stamp or seal the Affidavit of Sponsorship Form because it is written in English. It is acceptable in such instances to send a form from your home country with the appropriate seals instead of the Charlotte School of Law Affidavit of Sponsorship Form.

There is no deadline for submitting financial certification and/or sponsorship forms to Charlotte School of Law. However, you will not be issued a Form I-20 until they are received in proper form. Your financial documents do not have to be submitted in U.S. dollars, although it is helpful that any document you submit in foreign currency contains the U.S. dollar equivalency. It is perfectly acceptable to submit documents in foreign currency such as RMB, Rupees, or Euros."¨We will send your Form I-20 to you via FedEx mail services. In order to do this, we need a valid phone number for you. Please make sure to include this on your I-20 request form.

For Students Currently In The U.S. On F-1 Status

Follow all the instructions above for confirming your admission and submitting proof of financial support. Notify your international student services office at your current school of your intent to transfer to the Charlotte School of Law and the date you wish to be released from your current school's sponsorship. Once you notify your current school of your intent, they will go into the SEVIS system and release you for transfer to Charlotte School of Law. Tell them that we are listed in SEVIS as "Charlotte School of Law" and have them initiate transfer release in SEVIS. Notify Charlotte School of Law of the release date. Once the release date is reached, your Form I-20 for study at the Charlotte School of Law can be issued. Send an electronic copy of your passport, I-20s, I-94 card and visa via e-mail in PDF format to

For Students Currently In The U.S. Who Will Study On Their Current Immigration Status

If you are in the U.S. on certain non-immigrant visas (e.g., E-2, H-4, L-2), you may be allowed to study on that status. If otherwise qualified, dependent children can study on these statuses until age 21. If you wish to study at Charlotte School of Law on your current immigration status, please scan and send electronic copies of your current immigration documents to us via e-mail in PDF format to so that we can verify your status and consider whether we would need to issue a Form I-20 for you to study with us. If your current immigration status is not F-1 and you wish to change your status to that of a student, please contact us to discuss your situation. We may require you to provide evidence of your current status so that we may determine whether it is possible for us to issue an I-20.

Share This Page